[imp] How to get unrecognized file type to application/octet-stream

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Jun 16 16:55:09 UTC 2009

Quoting lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de:

> Hello
>
> we have the problem that attachments sent with Horde/IMP arrive as
> Content-Type text/plain at receiver side and are therefore
> useless/corrupted (7-Zip Files for example). If have digged around a
> little bit but get lost in the MIME-Type mess. We have tried to
> change the "DefaultType" directive in Apache to
> "application/octet-stream" but the problem still persists.
>
> As far as i understand Horde/IMP uses the Content-Type sent by the
> User Browser or try to detect it by mime_magic/fileinfo if not set?

That is incorrect.  IMP uses the Content-Type provided by the browser
first.  If that content-type is application/octet-stream, only then
will mime magic be used to determine the actual MIME type.

> How can i check what is sent by the browser (tcpdump search?)
>
> How can i check what would be detected by Horde/IMP "by hand"
>
> Can anyone confirm this behavior or is this some error in my setup
>
> Tests done :
> Send e-Mail with attachment consist of random data (dd
> if=/dev/urandom of=some.file count=100) with either IE8 or Firefox
> 3.0.11. Check with mailclient to seen the Content-Type as
> text/plain. Checked with md5sum that the resulting files are
> different.

Either your browser is sending the wrong content-type or your fileinfo
db is reporting the wrong info.  Neither is an IMP issue however since
both are out of our control.

michael