[imp] How to get unrecognized file type to

Lucien GENTIS lucien.gentis at lorraine.iufm.fr
Tue Jun 23 12:09:00 UTC 2009

Lucien GENTIS a écrit :
> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> we have the problem that attachments sent with Horde/IMP arrive as
>>> Content-Type text/plain at receiver side and are therefore
>>> useless/corrupted (7-Zip Files for example). If have digged around
>>> a little bit but get lost in the MIME-Type mess. We have tried to
>>> change the "DefaultType" directive in Apache to
>>> "application/octet-stream" but the problem still persists.
>>>
>>> As far as i understand Horde/IMP uses the Content-Type sent by the
>>> User Browser or try to detect it by mime_magic/fileinfo if not set?
>>
>> That is incorrect.  IMP uses the Content-Type provided by the
>> browser first.  If that content-type is application/octet-stream,
>> only then will mime magic be used to determine the actual MIME type.
>>

>>> How can i check what is sent by the browser (tcpdump search?)
>>>
>>> How can i check what would be detected by Horde/IMP "by hand"
>>>
>>> Can anyone confirm this behavior or is this some error in my setup
>>>
>>> Tests done :
>>> Send e-Mail with attachment consist of random data (dd
>>> if=/dev/urandom of=some.file count=100) with either IE8 or Firefox
>>> 3.0.11. Check with mailclient to seen the Content-Type as
>>> text/plain. Checked with md5sum that the resulting files are
>>> different.
>>
>> Either your browser is sending the wrong content-type or your
>> fileinfo db is reporting the wrong info.  Neither is an IMP issue
>> however since both are out of our control.
>
> It happens with IE8/IE6 and Firefox 3.0.11 on a stock XP SP3 so i
> guess the browsers send application/octet-stream as they should.
> This lead to the fileinfo db which i'm unsure where to find. Both
> systems tested with the wrong behavior are Ubuntu (6.06 and 8.04)
> stock install. As far as i can tell they use mime_magic build into
> PHP  and not PECL. One is PHP 5.1.x and the other 5.2.x. From what i
> can  see (http://pecl.php.net/package/Fileinfo) the PECL fileinfo has
> moved  to standard PHP source again so mime_magic extension is
> replaced with  PECL fileinfo which is replaced by PHP extension
> fileinfo??
> Is there any short PHP code to test what IMP will detect for a given
> file?? if using "file -i" the result is "application/octet-stream" as
> it should.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Andreas

Hello,

I had the same problem ; so, I looked at http://wiki.horde.org/MimeMagic
and found that |mime_magic.magicfile had to be defined in php.ini.

So I added this definition with the same magic file path as in
horde/config/conf.php (for me /usr/share/file/magic), and yet, MIME
types are correctly recognized (at least msword and msexcel)

--
Lucien GENTIS
IUFM de Lorraine

Tél. 03 83 17 68 41