[imp] Re-ordering virtual inbox and trash

Elliot Anders elliot at marlboro.edu
Tue Aug 11 12:52:08 UTC 2009

On Aug 11, 2009, at 8:16 AM , Jan Schneider wrote:

> During a workshop with a client they proposed a change in the folder
> tree that they implemented locally.
> They moved both the virtual inbox and trash to the main folder tree,
> i.e. out of the virtual folders parent node. The virtual inbox is
> moved right next to the real inbox and renamed to Unread Messages.
> The virtual trash is simply replacing the regular trash folder in
> position and name.
> These changes make a lot of sense to me, because "virtual *" doesn't
> make much sense to end users, and they don't recognize them as saved
> searches either, so they don't make much sense in the virtual
> folders hierarchy.
> I'd like to propose those changes upstream too, any more opinions?
>
> Jan.

This sounds like a good idea to me.  We've had some confusion with
people who use desktop mail clients as well as horde as to which box
is actually their trash.  I'm not sure if this would solve that or
make it more confusing as the virtual box probably wouldn't be
available for subscription.  I like that it mimics what most desktop
clients do and put the "special" folders at the top of the tree, and
it sounds like it might be very compatible with other clients as the
trash would still exist elsewhere, and hopefully contain the same
messages.  (Some clients seem to use Trash others Deleted Items or
Deleted Messages, but I don't think that's a horde worry.)

A bit off topic, but this made me think of it.  I wonder if horde
should have some sort of first-run wizard that does things like show
you your mailboxes and ask which you'd like to use as your trash
folder, and a few other fairly important setup items, like display
name and initial view....

-Elliot