[imp] IMP very slow on Centos 5

Wayne Catterton ciscoswitch at putercom.org
Tue Sep 29 04:24:47 UTC 2009

I figured it might be something with my setup, as IMP probably does things
a little differently then squirrelmail.

I've ruled out DNS, everything I refer to in the configs is in the hosts
file, and I run an internal dns as well, and so local lookups are
lightning quick, and never had a problem with anything else that uses
them.

not sure how to check on session locks, or what to set in the config's for
these.

I'm not sure on the c-client stuff, from what I've been reading on Centos,
if you use yum to install php-imap it compiles in the c-client stuff.  I
have postfixadmin running, and have used other webmail programs such as
squirrelmail, I can also use Outlook with imap and outlook express with
pop3 and they all work great and are lightning quick.

What your talking about with the CRAM-MD5 sounds like it could be
possible, but if all that is handled by the c-client, then I'd imagine I'd
have issues with other things with php-imap..  Squirrelmail has a password
changing utility that uses the imap server to change the password, and
that works fine with no problems, no slowness.  Not sure what else I have
that's using php-imap though, so if you have any ideas on how to check to
see if this is the issue, that would help.

is imapproxy something to just test with?  or is it something that could
potentially mess up stuff with my mailserver?

thanks,

> Quoting Wayne Catterton <ciscoswitch at putercom.org>:
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ok, I've got horde setup to use imp for auth, and imp is set to auth
>> through imap.  I'll leave this alone.
>>
>> I've checked the logs, and don't see any errors or problems.  I even set
>> dovecot to log to a seperate file (I normally have it set to syslog),
>> and
>> errors to another, I watched both files and didn't see any problems.
>>
>> One thing I did notice on the logs though, is after I click (say to
>> check
>> my mail in imp), it's a good 1-3 seconds before I see activity in the
>> log,
>> but there isn't any error messages or anything like that, all appears
>> normal.
>
> This sounds like an issue with your setup.  This is not an issue with
> IMP per se.
>
> Things that can cause delays include (but are not limited to) slow DNS
> lookups, waiting for session locks, and authentication issues between
> c-client and the IMAP server (if not configured correctly, it might be
> trying to do things like CRAM-MD5 authentication, and only after a
> failure does it fallback to regular LOGINs).  Might want to try
> running something like imapproxy that keeps the IMAP connections open.
>   Depending on the results after using imapproxy, it would indicate
> whether there is an issue at the authentication step.
>
> There is a slight advantage to using imp auth, but that would most
> definitely not account for a 5 second delay.
>
> michael

Wayne Catterton CCNA
Network Engineer
Scappoose, OR