[imp] IMP very slow on Centos 5

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Sep 29 08:04:36 UTC 2009

Zitat von Wayne Catterton <ciscoswitch at putercom.org>:

> I figured it might be something with my setup, as IMP probably does things
> a little differently then squirrelmail.
>
> I've ruled out DNS, everything I refer to in the configs is in the hosts
> file, and I run an internal dns as well, and so local lookups are
> lightning quick, and never had a problem with anything else that uses
> them.
>
> not sure how to check on session locks, or what to set in the config's for
> these.
>
> I'm not sure on the c-client stuff, from what I've been reading on Centos,
> if you use yum to install php-imap it compiles in the c-client stuff.  I
> have postfixadmin running, and have used other webmail programs such as
> squirrelmail, I can also use Outlook with imap and outlook express with
> pop3 and they all work great and are lightning quick.
>
> What your talking about with the CRAM-MD5 sounds like it could be
> possible, but if all that is handled by the c-client, then I'd imagine I'd
> have issues with other things with php-imap..  Squirrelmail has a password
> changing utility that uses the imap server to change the password, and
> that works fine with no problems, no slowness.  Not sure what else I have
> that's using php-imap though, so if you have any ideas on how to check to
> see if this is the issue, that would help.

Squirrelmail is not using php-imap, so it's rather a hint *for*
c-client being the culprit than against it.
Unfortunately there aren't any debugging possibilities for c-client,
so you might want to watch the IMAP traffic on the wire instead.

> is imapproxy something to just test with?  or is it something that could
> potentially mess up stuff with my mailserver?

It doesn't mess anything up, it's just a proxy that routes the IMAP
traffic. It even listens on the different port and you can still use
IMAP directly with the other clients.

> thanks,
>
>> Quoting Wayne Catterton <ciscoswitch at putercom.org>:
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Ok, I've got horde setup to use imp for auth, and imp is set to auth
>>> through imap.  I'll leave this alone.
>>>
>>> I've checked the logs, and don't see any errors or problems.  I even set
>>> dovecot to log to a seperate file (I normally have it set to syslog),
>>> and
>>> errors to another, I watched both files and didn't see any problems.
>>>
>>> One thing I did notice on the logs though, is after I click (say to
>>> check
>>> my mail in imp), it's a good 1-3 seconds before I see activity in the
>>> log,
>>> but there isn't any error messages or anything like that, all appears
>>> normal.
>>
>> This sounds like an issue with your setup.  This is not an issue with
>> IMP per se.
>>
>> Things that can cause delays include (but are not limited to) slow DNS
>> lookups, waiting for session locks, and authentication issues between
>> c-client and the IMAP server (if not configured correctly, it might be
>> trying to do things like CRAM-MD5 authentication, and only after a
>> failure does it fallback to regular LOGINs).  Might want to try
>> running something like imapproxy that keeps the IMAP connections open.
>>   Depending on the results after using imapproxy, it would indicate
>> whether there is an issue at the authentication step.
>>
>> There is a slight advantage to using imp auth, but that would most
>> definitely not account for a 5 second delay.
>>
>> michael
>>
>> --

> Wayne Catterton CCNA
> Network Engineer