[imp] question about IMP 5

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Mar 10 05:22:53 UTC 2010

Quoting Kevin Hanser <imp-ml at hanser.org>:

> Hello everyone!  I have a question about IMP 5;  I've looked on the
> website and searched the mailing lists, but I can't seem to find the
> answer I'm looking for.
>
> I was on the site today checking things out and I noticed that a new
> version of IMP with AJAX-ish interface is under development.

There also is an AJAX interface for IMP 4, it's called DIMP and is
currently available on the stable, Horde 3 line.
   I was
> wondering if there's instructions on the easiest way to download and
> install this version (IMP 5).  According to the roadmap page, it
> looks like the only thing still under development is "Allow direct
> access to remote accounts", which isn't a feature I need anyway.  So
> based on this, should I be able to install and use IMP 5 today?
>
> If so, what's the easiest way to obtain a copy?  I found the git
> instructions page, but I'm not sure what modules / pieces I would
> need to get it up and running.  (ie, what horde version is needed,
> etc)

Currently, you can get a copy by checking out the horde git repository
and following the directions you already found on the website. The
repository contains all the code for Horde 4 and all applications. If
you are feeling adventurous, you could instead download the most
recent development snapshots of horde, framework, imp, and any other
apps you want from the ftp server. Note that Horde 4 is still under
heavy development and is not suitable for production use at this time.

> Also, would my current settings (like notes from nag, contacts from
> turba, etc) transfer over to Horde 4 / IMP 5?

You would need to use the Horde 4 compatible versions of those
applications, and run any upgrade scripts to update your database.
Also note that not all applications are yet working fully under Horde 4.