[imp] Subject encoding issue

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Sat May 15 18:02:11 UTC 2010

Quoting qmail at top-consulting.net:

> The issue of the '?' characters has now also been solved. Not sure
> if it's just our systems or everyone out there that has this problem
> but we made the following change in imp/mailbox.php
>
> changed:
> $msg['subject'] = $imp_ui->getSubject($ob->subject);
>
> to:
> $msg['subject'] = utf8_encode($imp_ui->getSubject($ob->subject));
>
> Doing this, also no longer requires the modification to
> NLS::getCharset() I mentioned earlier since the subject effectively
> is UTF8 now and the function works properly.

That's not correct.  It may work for certain messages, but that is
luck, not because this is the proper solution.  It sounds like the
subject line is simply not encoded correctly - thus, when converting
to the server charset (UTF-8), characters are being mis-converted.
But this is an issue with the mail message itself, not IMP.

michael