[imp] IMP Cleanout

Martin Fraser mdf at darksnow.net
Wed Aug 18 09:13:01 UTC 2010

Brian Leggee wrote:

> I just deleted around 12,000 Emails, half of those in the SENT folder, many had big attachments.
>
> I was just wondering if that leaves me with a database somewhere that needs to be "compacted" or otherwise reduced to get rid of dead space ... or if that is irrelevant in  this case.
>
> --------------------
> Brian Leggee
> (760) 839-0400
> brian at leggee.com

As with all the best answers, it depends.

Assuming you are using some sort of UNIX IMAP server that uses Maildir,
then each message is stored in a file on the normal file systems, not a
database at all.

I'm not sure what exchange does though.

In short, I'd say the simple answer is no.

Martin Fraser
darksnow.net