[imp] Horde/IMP performance problems

Jochen Roderburg Roderburg at uni-koeln.de
Thu Sep 9 12:04:57 UTC 2010

Hello IMP Users,

We have been using the older generation of the system (Horde2/IMP3)
for many years as our university Webmail system without needing any
special optimizations despite a growing number of users.

But when I now tried to offer the current generation (the whole Horde
Groupware Webmail Edition 1.2.6) to our users, we had immediately
severe performance problems and had to cancel the action after 2 days.

This system now seems to have an enormously increased need of
resources as compared to the old version.

Have others made similar experiences?

Have you had success with the recommendations in
horde/docs/PERFORMANCE in such a situation?

Does anybody have or know tools which can simulate the load of
hundreds of IMP users in order to see the impact of changes?

Best regards,

Jochen Roderburg
RRZK
University of Cologne
Robert-Koch-Str. 10                    Tel.:   +49-221/478-7024
D-50931 Koeln                          E-Mail: Roderburg at Uni-Koeln.DE
Germany