[imp] Horde/IMP performance problems

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Thu Sep 9 13:48:11 UTC 2010

Zitat von Jochen Roderburg <Roderburg at uni-koeln.de>:

> Hello IMP Users,
>
> We have been using the older generation of the system (Horde2/IMP3)
> for many years as our university Webmail system without needing any
> special optimizations despite a growing number of users.
>
> But when I now tried to offer the current generation (the whole
> Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 1.2.6) to our users, we had
> immediately severe performance problems and had to cancel the action
> after 2 days.
>
> This system now seems to have an enormously increased need of
> resources as compared to the old version.
>
> Have others made similar experiences?
>
> Have you had success with the recommendations in
> horde/docs/PERFORMANCE in such a situation?

There are some "bells-and-whistels" in the new version which can kill
your performance..
Some suspect settings
- message preview
- message sort
- spell check
- not using the cache settings
- using maillog with high mail volume

What is needed at PHP level
- a opcode cache like APC
- mcrypt support

Also check that all the index settings in the database are correct.
Another point was a problem with UW-IMAP with default settings some
time ago.

Regards

Andreas