[imp] IMP and IPv6

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Oct 22 01:44:21 UTC 2010

Quoting Ernie Dunbar <maillist at lightspeed.ca>:

> Does IMP not support IPv6?
>
> The reason I ask is that we've finally started using IPv6 on our server
> network, and now that we have AAAA records in our DNS for our servers, IMP
> is extremely slow when using the FQDN of our mail server. If I switch to
> the IPv4 address, the problem goes away.
>
> IMP and Horde et al *really* need to support IPv6. There's no excuse for
> that in this day and age.

Horde and IMP don't generally care about IPv4 vs. IPv6. Can you do
some digging into where the slowdown is? Are you sure that there's no
v6->v4 translation happening? Is it in the c-client library? Etc... If
it seems to be happening in PHP's IMAP functions, it'd be worth trying
Horde 4/IMP 5, which uses our own IMAP lib over PHP socket functions.

-chuck