[imp] login slowness with large inboxes after upgrade from Horde 3.0.10+IMP 4.0.4 to Horde 3.3.8 + IMP 4.3.7

Jose Manuel Blanco jmblanco at sciops.esa.int
Fri Oct 22 07:44:47 UTC 2010

Hi

After I recently installed in my new server Horde 3.3.8 + IMP 4.3.7,
users with a large inbox take around 4 to 5 minutes to login.
I know this has been reported and I have read the PERFORMANCE document
and all I could find on the web about increasing the cache (horde_cache,
memcache, mysql memory, etc). The problem is
that my configuration is almost identical to the one I had before
(except the server is newer and I can set bigger cache values). Even more,
with my old webmail, logins of users with more than 40000 mails in their
inboxes were almost instantaneous (even the first time they login), so
it looks
to me as if it's not a cache issue. Could it be that my old server is
only refreshing from the IMAP backend the 20 mails it shows in the first
screen, while the new one is trying to download the whole 40000 headers?
If so, I haven't been able to see what parameter could be changed to
make my new webmail to behave like that, and that's the only logical
explanation for my old webmail behaviour that I can think of.

Thanks in advance

Jose Manuel Blanco

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure,

use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content is not permitted. If you received this message in

error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by

the sender.