[imp] IMP is breaking certain attachments.

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Nov 17 21:34:59 UTC 2010

Quoting Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at opengroupware.us>:

> On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 14:22 -0700, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>> Quoting Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at opengroupware.us>:
>> > Horde 3.3.4 / IMAP H3 4.3.4 / PHP 5.2.12
>> > PEAR: Mail_Mime 1.8.0 Fileinfo 1.0.4
>> > I'm having an issue where certain files attached to messages in IMP get
>> > corrupted. Almost all files work. But for some files, I believe, IMP is
>> > not base64 encoding them.  On the corrupted files the message source
>> > looks like :
>> > --=_52mp429tmh8o
>> > If I send the same file from the same place using Evolution the message
>> > source looks like the following and the attachment is valid -
>> > It isn't just PDF-files-do-not-attach, some PDF files do.  I've tried
>> > these files on Windows, LINUX, attaching from different folders, etc...
>> > The broken attachments do appear as different sizes than files that are
>> > correctly attached.
>>
>> Your browser is reporting the wrong MIME type.  IMP does not base64
>> encode text attachments.
>
> Huh; the same browser error on IE7/XP, FF/XP, and FF/GNOME??

Probably.  It's not a browser thing.  It's the MIME type being
reported by the OS.

Search the mailing lists - there's been a bunch of discussion about
this in the past.  Long story short - who are we to question what the
OS/Browser tells us the MIME type is?

In newer versions of IMP, admins have the opportunity to easily change
the MIME type of attached messages in a hook if desired.

michael