[imp] several questions from a newbie

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Mon Jan 3 10:42:18 UTC 2011

Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:

> Quoting Oliver Lehmann <lehmann at ans-netz.de>:
>
>> - Beside the "Sent" folder I could need some help with some sort of
>>  automatic deletion of mails in defined (Mailinglist) folders.
>>  In the past I just ran a find on my local system to find files
>>  older lets say 3 month and delete them from those directories. Now it
>>  would be cool if IMP could do this for me after magically setting this
>>  up somehow. Is it possible or does someone know how to achive this
>>  easily?
>
> Nothing automatic that I know of. I guess you could just do a search
> based on the date using IMP.

I tried this, but I'm getting strange result. When I search for mails in a
large folder older 1st of January 2011, I'm getting for example mails from
June 2010. When I now search for mails older 1st December 2010, I'm getting
no mails displayed at all. This looks like a bug to me?!

Beside that - does someone know how to easily delete mails from specific IMAP
folders older than XXX days? I know I could use find(1), but I would prefer an
IMAP solution. Beside that I don't like to take a look on the file date (which
I would when I use find(1)). I would prefer to respect the Date: header. Why?
Many of my mails are "imported" by imap_append and have a file date
not matching
the Date: header.