[imp] several questions from a newbie

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at opengroupware.us
Mon Jan 3 11:03:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 11:42 +0100, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Michael Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:
> Beside that - does someone know how to easily delete mails from specific IMAP
> folders older than XXX days? I know I could use find(1), but I would prefer an
> IMAP solution. Beside that I don't like to take a look on the file date (which
> I would when I use find(1)). I would prefer to respect the Date: header. Why?
> Many of my mails are "imported" by imap_append and have a file date
> not matching
> the Date: header.

+1 Using file time stamps to say something about the message is a risky
proposition; lots of events can mess with timestamps on the files.

If you are using Cyrus IMAP look into the "expire" annotation.  I set my
SPAM folder to expire at 14 days and my sent mail to expire at 365 days
an it-just-happens - I don't even have to log in.
--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>