[imp] Sending mail with attachment.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 5 23:55:33 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 15:38 -0700, Jered wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> We recently migrated our working Horde IMP installation to a VM. The
> migrated Horde IMP is working with the exception of sending a message
> that contains an attachment of any size.
>
> Our mail server and our Horde VM are de-coupled. I can verify that when
> an attachment is added in the compose screen, it is in fact uploaded to
> the /tmp directory on the server. IMP will send a message without
> problem when there is NOT an attachment.
>
> When the 'Send Message' button is clicked in a message that contains the
> attachment, the compose screen just sits there and finally I get the
> following message:
>
> "There was an error sending your message: Failed to send data [SMTP:
> Invalid response code received from server (code: -1, response: )]"
>
> I've enabled debugging in the Apache logs and nothing is giving me a
> clue as to the problem. This is a CentOS 5.5 install with Apache 2.2.3
> and PHP v5.2.5.
>
> Here's output of the Horde test.php:
> Horde Version
> •Horde: 3.2-RC3
> Horde Applications
> •Forwards: H3 (3.0.1)
> •Horde: 3.2-RC3
> •Imp: H3 (4.2-RC3) (run Imp tests)
> •Ingo: H3 (1.2-RC2) (run Ingo tests)
> •Mimp: H3 (1.1.1)
> •Passwd: H3 (3.0.1) (run Passwd tests)
> •Turba: H3 (2.1.5) (run Turba tests)
> PHP Version
> •View phpinfo() screen
> •View loaded extensions
> •PHP Version: 5.2.5
> •PHP Major Version: 5.2
> •PHP Minor Version: 5
> •PHP Version Classification: release
> •You are running a supported version of PHP.
> PHP Module Capabilities
> •Ctype Support: Yes
> •DOM XML Support: Yes
> •FTP Support: Yes
> •GD Support: Yes
> •Gettext Support: Yes
> •GeoIP Support (via PECL extension): No
> Horde can optionally use the GeoIP extension to provide faster country
> name lookups.
> •Iconv Support: Yes
> •GNU Iconv Support: Yes
> •IMAP Support: Yes
> •JSON Support: Yes
> •LDAP Support: No
> LDAP support is only required if you want to use an LDAP server for
> anything like authentication, address books, or preference storage.
> •LZF Compression Support: Yes
> •Mbstring Support: Yes
> •PCRE Support: Yes
> •PCRE UTF-8 Support: Yes
> •Mcrypt Support: Yes
> •memcached Support (memcache): Yes
> •MIME Magic Support (fileinfo): Yes
> •MIME Magic Support (mime_magic): Yes
> •MySQL Support: Yes
> •OpenSSL Support: Yes
> •PostgreSQL Support: No
> The PostgreSQL extension is only required if you want to use a
> PostgreSQL database server for data storage.
> •Session Support: Yes
> [...]
----
error messages will be written wherever your PHP (php.ini) is set to
post them.

php.ini has several settings that control this, first whether uploads
are permitted...
file_uploads = On
also
upload_max_filesize = 2M
also, there must be a 'writable' directory (usually /tmp) but perhaps
you have configured differently or don't have a writable /tmp directory.

Craig

believed to be clean.