[imp] default reply behavior in dimp/imp

Brent impuser at bitrealm.com
Wed Aug 17 16:26:18 UTC 2011

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>

> Quoting Nick <whatdoyouwant at gmail.com>:
>
>> It seems that when I hit "Reply" it defaults to reply all.  Is there any way
>> to change this?  I see the "You are currently replying to ALL recipients.
>> Click this box to reply to the original sender instead" in dimp's compose
>> window, but my users shouldn't always have to click this.

> And this is almost certainly what is wanted.  Replying must be
> analyzed from the point of view of the ORIGINAL sender of the
> message.  He/she believed the message was appropriate/pertinent to
> send to a  group of people.  Thus, a response to the email thread
> needs to,  likewise, go to all members of that group.
> If you want to send a personal message (i.e. breaking the thread),
> you need to EXPRESSLY indicate that intention.

> Thus, we have no plans for making this configurable.  You can alter
> the code as you wish on your installation, of course.
>
> michael

What about this:  add another button between Reply and Forward that
says "Reply To All", then default the Reply to just reply to the user
(breaking the thread).  That is what Outlook and Thunderbird have, for
what it's worth, and removes a certain amount of ambiguity on the
end-users part.  I think the primary reason is that the button says
"Reply" and in Outlook/Thunderbird, that means "reply to the sender
only".  I believe this is what is causing the confusion and has caused
more than one faux paus among the Horde mob.

brent