[imp] Controlling the reply in IMP 5

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 18:56:35 UTC 2011

I've just joined the list.  Looking for way to control sender replies in IMP.
Like Nick from a couple of days ago, our users (and helpdesk) are asking
for a way to make the default reply to sender only or always chosen.

While Michael Slusarz's reply is probably correct for many end users,
it isn't desired from a management point of view.  You assume the
user is intelligent and observant.  We are talking about people who
respond to phishing emails.  Don't assume too much of the user!

People do reply to all and think they are writing to the sender only.
Yes, even with Ph. Ds people can do this.  Sometimes it is humorous,
and other times it is damaging.  We would like to have it err on less
rather than more.

It should be something the end site can configure easily rather than
some developer decide what default is correct for all types of sites and users.

Another option is to return to the way reply button worked in IMP 4.
It produced
a mouseover activated pop up for Reply to Sender or Reply to All, so
you were engaged in making that choice, not falling on an unseen default.

The right click menu or the small arrow down next to Reply works this way
in IMP 5 but I don't know how many people will find those methods of replying.