[imp] Hide messages marked for deletion

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Sep 12 21:00:27 UTC 2011

Quoting Simon Brereton <simon.brereton at buongiorno.com>:

> Hi
>
> I can't believe this hasn't been raised, but the only mention on the
> mailing list archive I can find on Google is from 2008 - a while
> before IMP5.
>
> Basically when you delete from Outlook, and then log into IMP, the
> messages are still shown (albeit with a line through them and marked
> for deletion).  I would like these to be hidden (and/or moved to
> trash).
>
> I can't find a setting in either the administration panel or the
> preferences.  Apart from:
>
> When deleting messages, move them to your Trash folder instead of
> marking them as deleted?
>
> But what about messages that have been marked by another client?

This has been discussed before, and the current behavior is proper.
If you are not hiding deleted messages in IMP, then you *have* to show
all messages as-is, regardless of their current flag.  The user has
explicitly stated that they want to see all messages that live in the
mailbox.  Why should a message that is flagged as deleted not be
shown?  There's nothing special about that message... it still exists
in the mailbox.

The last thing you can do is make assumptions about how other MUA's
are dealing with flags in mailboxes.

michael