[imp] Problem with H4 IMP Dynamic mode

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Sep 22 22:19:00 UTC 2011

Quoting Louis-Philippe Allard <lp.allard.1 at gmail.com>:

> Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:
>> I installed H4 and was testing it.  All seems good in traditional
>> mode.  I can use traditional mode IMP
>>  without any problems at all.  But, as soon as I switch to Dynamic
>> Mode, IMP can no longer access my inbox.
>>
>>  Authentication via IMP still works, sending still works (I'm
>> sending this message via H4 IMP in dynamic mode),
>>  but when I try to see my inbox it pops the following errors on the screen:
>>
>>  Error when communicating with the server.
>>  Error when communicating with the server.
>>  The server was unable to generate the message list.
>>  The server was unable to generate the message list.
>>
>>  The only error log entry I can find is from apache, which complains:
>>
>>  PHP Fatal error:  session_start() [<a
>> href='function.session-start'>function.session-start</a>]: Failed
>> to initialize storage module: user (path: /var/lib/php/session) in
>> /httpd/horde4/pear/php/Horde/Session.php on line 150, referer:
>> https://mail.ph.utexas.edu/test/imp/
>>
>>  Any ideas what could be causing this problem in Dynamic but not
>> Traditional IMP?
>>
>>  --
>>  Eric Rostetter
>>  The Department of Physics
>>  The University of Texas at Austin
>>
>>  I still find each day too short for all the thoughts
>>  I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books
>>  I want to read, and all the friends I want to see.
>>  - John Burroughs
>>
>>  --
>
> I believe what Eric is describing is pretty close to what I reported via
> Ticket 10503 (http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/10503)
>
> Meanwhile, my apache error log says the following:
> [Thu Sep 22 18:07:19 2011] [error] [client 192.XXX.XXX.XXX] PHP Fatal
> error:  Cannot use string offset as an array in
> /usr/lib/php/Horde/Imap/Client/Socket.php on line 2089, referer:
> http://192.XXX.XXX.XXX/horde4/imp/

No.  Eric is getting a completely different fatal error.

It appears a bunch of people are having the same issues on upgrading,
and in almost every case it is because they don't have their server
(either Horde or their HTTP server) correctly configured regarding
caching of javascript files.

There was a drastic change in the way mailbox names were handled
recently on the javascript side (you can blame the deplorable suhosin
extension for this issue).  Unless your browser is using the most
up-to-date javascript files, this issue will be very obvious.  Nothing
has changed with the recent releases... these javascript caching
issues would have been an issue on every upgrade where the js files
themselves have changed.  However, it just happens to be that this
issue is highly visible.

If not already obvious in the configuration literature (maybe it
isn't... I don't have it in front of me right now), unless you
*really* know what you are doing, you should almost certainly be using
static files to deliver JS.  This is the ONLY guaranteed way to
cache-bust across ALL browsers.

michael