[imp] Encoding when answering

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Oct 18 17:17:56 UTC 2011

Quoting azurIt <azurit at pobox.sk>:

> It's hapenning on my installation and unicode chars are being
> corrupted cos of this. When i'm answering to e-mail with UTF-8
> charset, everything is fine, my e-mail has UTF-8 in headers. But
> when i'm answering to e-mail with, for example, ISO-8859-1, unicode
> chars are corrupted and charset ISO-8859-1 is set in headers (i can
> see this on message in Sent folder).
>
> How can i set preferred outgoing charset ?

You can't in this situation.  If a sender is sending you messages in
ISO-8859-1, we can't assume they support UTF-8 so we can only return
messages that use the ISO-8859-1 charset.  If there are unicode
characters in there, you are out of luck.

We have discussed removing outgoing charset composition selection
completely and sending messages either in US-ASCII or UTF-8.  But this
would be a major change and won't happen before 5.1.

michael