[imp] Encoding when answering

Jānis je at ktf.rtu.lv
Tue Oct 18 17:26:52 UTC 2011

Citējot Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:17:56 -0600:

> Quoting azurIt <azurit at pobox.sk>:
>
>> It's hapenning on my installation and unicode chars are being
>> corrupted cos of this. When i'm answering to e-mail with UTF-8
>> charset, everything is fine, my e-mail has UTF-8 in headers. But
>> when i'm answering to e-mail with, for example, ISO-8859-1, unicode
>> chars are corrupted and charset ISO-8859-1 is set in headers (i can
>> see this on message in Sent folder).
>>
>> How can i set preferred outgoing charset ?
>
> You can't in this situation.  If a sender is sending you messages in
> ISO-8859-1, we can't assume they support UTF-8 so we can only return
> messages that use the ISO-8859-1 charset.  If there are unicode
> characters in there, you are out of luck.
>
> We have discussed removing outgoing charset composition selection
> completely and sending messages either in US-ASCII or UTF-8.  But
> this would be a major change and won't happen before 5.1.

you can edit compose.php in a way that everything going out has UTF-8
encoding (more on that you can find in the lists archives for
August/September or at bugs.horde.org).

I know Michael will protest, but by such bad behaviuor I solved my own
problems (and it seems that does not make any problem with my
correspondents) as none protests about undecipherable e-mails anymore.

Janis