[imp] Composition and PDF attachments

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Nov 30 21:29:23 UTC 2011

Quoting cjdl01 <cjdl01 at brokensolstice.com>:

> I'm using Imp 5.0.15 with Horde 4.0.12.
>
> I am a linux guy, so I do 99% of my work on linux boxes.  As part of
> my work, I send a lot of invoices out to customers in pdf format.
>
> I am using Mozilla firefox 7.0.1, and Adobe Reader 9.4.2 with the
> firefox plugin on a gentoo box current as of yesterday.  It works
> fine normally, but for some reason, when attaching a PDF to an email
> and clicking on the link (name of the attachment) to verify the
> document, it always opens up a blank, white window.  There is a very
> long, ugly URL in the address bar of that window (probably going to
> a hashed temp file), but nothing renders.
>
> Clicking the attachment name link does not even offer me to download
> or open in another program, it just opens that blank window.
>
> This is going to slow my workflow down something fierce.  Is there
> anything I can do to fix this?

I can verify that this works fine for me.  There was a bug related to
this, but it was fixed for 5.0.15.

commit e08081438cb1a09638897cabd1e46fb3e1120e59
Author: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
Date:   Mon Oct 31 22:43:50 2011 -0600

     Fix intermittent attachment loss when composing messages.

     Fixed by implementing Serializable for IMP_Compose.

     In the server access when attaching a file, the Horde_Mime_Part contains
     the data of the attachment, stored in a stream.  When saving the
     IMP_Compose object to the session, this part was being serialized with
     the entire contents of the data into the part.  Not good for session
     sizes, and this data was periodically being lost.  We already have the
     attachment data stored (either in VFS or filesystem), so we don't need
     this data to be stored in the MIME Part - scrub it before serializing.

     For the record, the way to reproduce:

     1. Use dynamic view
     2. Open compose screen
     3. Attach a file
     4. Insert at least one character in body (to trigger auto-save draft)
     5. Wait for an auto-save draft
     6. Try to view contents of attachment - error will be thrown.

michael