[imp] Composition and PDF attachments

cjdl01 cjdl01 at brokensolstice.com
Wed Nov 30 22:25:17 UTC 2011

> Quoting cjdl01 <cjdl01 at brokensolstice.com>:
>
>> I'm using Imp 5.0.15 with Horde 4.0.12.
>>
>> I am a linux guy, so I do 99% of my work on linux boxes.  As part
>> of my work, I send a lot of invoices out to customers in pdf format.
>>
>> I am using Mozilla firefox 7.0.1, and Adobe Reader 9.4.2 with the
>> firefox plugin on a gentoo box current as of yesterday.  It works
>> fine normally, but for some reason, when attaching a PDF to an
>> email and clicking on the link (name of the attachment) to verify
>> the document, it always opens up a blank, white window.  There is a
>> very long, ugly URL in the address bar of that window (probably
>> going to a hashed temp file), but nothing renders.
>>
>> Clicking the attachment name link does not even offer me to
>> download or open in another program, it just opens that blank window.
>>
>> This is going to slow my workflow down something fierce.  Is there
>> anything I can do to fix this?
>
> I can verify that this works fine for me.  There was a bug related
> to this, but it was fixed for 5.0.15.
>
> commit e08081438cb1a09638897cabd1e46fb3e1120e59
> Author: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
> Date:   Mon Oct 31 22:43:50 2011 -0600
>
>     Fix intermittent attachment loss when composing messages.
>
>     Fixed by implementing Serializable for IMP_Compose.
>
>     In the server access when attaching a file, the Horde_Mime_Part contains
>     the data of the attachment, stored in a stream.  When saving the
>     IMP_Compose object to the session, this part was being serialized with
>     the entire contents of the data into the part.  Not good for session
>     sizes, and this data was periodically being lost.  We already have the
>     attachment data stored (either in VFS or filesystem), so we don't need
>     this data to be stored in the MIME Part - scrub it before serializing.
>
>     For the record, the way to reproduce:
>
>     1. Use dynamic view
>     2. Open compose screen
>     3. Attach a file
>     4. Insert at least one character in body (to trigger auto-save draft)
>     5. Wait for an auto-save draft
>     6. Try to view contents of attachment - error will be thrown.
>
> michael

It looks like firefox 8 just hit portage today, so I installed that,
and re-tested.  It is still doing the same thing.  I logged into a
windows box with FF8, and it works as expected.  So it seems to be
related just to linux FF.  Are you using a Linux Desktop with FF8,
Michael?

I don't think that this is necessarily a horde bug (it probably has
more to do with the linux port of FF), but if there is anything I can
do to get this working it would be of great help.

Thanks.

-Chris