[imp] Improving IMP message load times

Mat Cantin mat at cantinbrothers.ca
Wed Dec 14 19:13:13 UTC 2011

Greetings,

I currently have Horde4 groupmail installed and operational on
Lighttpd with the Dovecot IMAP backend for email and authentication.
I've been working on trying to improve IMP's performance when loading
new messages that have not yet been viewed and cached. I've been able
to get it down to about 3 seconds, which I understand is pretty
typical because that's how long it takes to establish a new IMAP
session and download the message.

Although 3 seconds is good, when my users want to look through several
new messages quickly, it's really not that great, especially when
comparing the performance with Google Mail and Outlook Web Access.

Getting to the point, I've noticed that once a message has been viewed
and cached, going back to that message later is instantaneous. Does
anyone know if it's possible to configure IMP to pre-cache all the
messages in the current view? Ideally, it could quickly load and show
the user's message list and then proceed to download the messages in
the background. I realize that this will obviously take more server
resources, but that's a trade-off we can make.

Thanks.

--
Mat