[imp] migrating users from traditional to dynamic interface (message deletion)

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Tue Feb 14 09:00:03 UTC 2012

Zitat von Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

>> Quoting Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> >   I  had  a  chance  to  migrate  one  of my bigger installations from
>> >   traditional  to  dynamic  interface  recently. And stumbled upon one
>> >   major  problem.  Seems  like  a  fair  amount  of  users had used to
>> >   traditional  IMP  interface  and the concept of "mailbox pages" that
>> >   now  they make serious mistakes performing actions on "message list"
>> >   in the dynamic view.
>> >
>> >   For  example,  they  used upper checkbox in traditional interface to
>> >   mark  20  messages  (or whatever is configured as message number per
>> >   page), and clicked Delete to delete all messages in the currect page.
>> >   Of  course  in  dynamic  view this empties a whole mailbox. Moreover
>> >   there  is  no confirmation  popup saying "Are you sure that you want to
>> >   empty this folder?"
>> >
>> >   Can it be added?
>>
>> No.  Especially since the method used in dynamic view is the
>> *expected* way that button should work.  Selecting all messages is NOT
>> a destructive action in and of itself.  And whether users are
>
> Yes, but selecting all messages and hitting Delete is destructive. I
> think there should be a confirmation if user selected all messages
> which upper checkbox AND clicked Delete.
>
>> migrating from the traditional view is totally site-dependent.
>>
>> If you are truly worried about losing messages, you should enforce a
>> Trash mailbox.
>
> Actually I did. But this didn't help, because user went to Trash
> mailbox and just cleared the Trash too, because he didn't think that
> Trash contained all the emails either. He just clicked select all
> and Delete in the Trash thinking that he is deleting 20 messages.

Then the server should be configured to a delayed expunge to protect
users from potential data loss.

But I also don't think the problem you describe warrants a check on
the code side. What you describe is a transient problem that won't
stay for long time as users get adapted to the new interface. While
the protection you ask for would be useful at first it would become
annoying shortly after.

Cheers,

Gunnar