[imp] migrating users from traditional to dynamic interface (message deletion)

Simon Brereton simon.brereton at buongiorno.com
Wed Feb 15 21:33:42 UTC 2012

On 15 February 2012 16:13, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:

>> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> A notification message?  That seems a bit extreme for an action as basic
>>> as selecting messages.  I don't want to see a notification every time I open
>>> a message that says "You have opened a message!".  Not tremendously useful.
>>>  Notification messages are generally for things that happened outside of the
>>> view/knowledge of the user.
>>

>> How about the highlighting that I just added to develop? This could even
>> be added to more focused events, i.e. only when really selecting all
>> messages.
>

> I personally find this very annoying.  At a minimum it should be limited to
> the '# messages' part of the text, rather than the entire DIV.  Especially
> since the info graphic disappears/reappears every time a message is
> selected.  And it should not be highlighted when a message is deselected
> (i.e. after reading a message and deleting it).

I've been really ambivalent about this thread - especially as I can
see both arguments.  My proposal would be to have this as a user or
site option the same way Outlook does.  That way if you're migrating
from Traditional to Dynamic mindless users won't get caught out and
mindful users can turn it off (or site administrators can if they
know/trust their user-base.

Simon