[imp] x-uuencoded attachment gets corrupted

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue May 22 21:57:49 UTC 2012

> Zitat von Arminas <g.arminas at gmail.com>:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> some of our users are sending x-uuencoded emails. If email contains an
>> attachment, the file downloaded via IMP gets corrupted. I've tried to set
>> $mime_drivers['plain']['uuencode'] = true, but that didn't help -
>> attachments still gets corrupted (Probably because this is the plain text
>> viewer's option). I've tried to send email with PDF attachment - everything
>> went fine, but docx and doc files can't be opened.
>>
>> I've attached demo message, containing a simple doc file as an attachment,
>> which IMP can't download "correctly".
>>

>> This happens both on IMP 5.0.18 and an old one IMP 4.3.6
>
> Did you check your log files? I get an error from the IMAP server
> trying to read that message part.

Turns out that PHP's convert_uudecode() implementation is broken.
Fixed in Horde_Mime 1.6.1.

FYI: It is possible that an IMAP server could refuse to serve that
message since it contains an invalid MIME type (x-uuencode) - these
servers appear to not be willing to send unknown content-encoding data
in a bodystructure return.  Some servers are more lenient than others
in what they serve, however, so it does work on some.  Dovecot 2.1
will display the message, for example.

michael