[imp] New Mail notification latency

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Fri Jun 1 09:38:16 UTC 2012

Citeren Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

> Despite this warning, this is EXACTLY what everybody uses STATUS
> for.  So recent IMAP extensions have directly addressed this issue.
> You should upgrade to an IMAP server that supports LIST-STATUS
> (and/or mailbox stat caching) if you want to see much improved
> behavior.  Or, the better solution, is to disable the option to
> allow a user to poll all mailboxes.  THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA AND IS
> ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT WHAT THE USER WANTS.  NO USER SHOULD BE POLLING
> *ALL* THEIR MAILBOXES.

I mostly agree with the latter remark, but when using server side
filtering, I can imagine that people revert to this. It is a PITA that
one has to add each folder where messages are filtered into to the
list of folders that are checked for new mail.

It has happened to me several times already that after adding a new
filter I forgot to do this and only after a while found out that lots
of unread messages where filtered in folders that are not scanned for
new messages.

Best regards, Arjen