[imp] New Mail notification latency

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Jun 1 09:46:15 UTC 2012

Quoting Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>:

> Citeren Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>
>> Despite this warning, this is EXACTLY what everybody uses STATUS
>> for.  So recent IMAP extensions have directly addressed this issue.
>>  You should upgrade to an IMAP server that supports LIST-STATUS
>> (and/or mailbox stat caching) if you want to see much improved
>> behavior.  Or, the better solution, is to disable the option to
>> allow a user to poll all mailboxes.  THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA AND IS
>> ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT WHAT THE USER WANTS.  NO USER SHOULD BE
>> POLLING *ALL* THEIR MAILBOXES.
>
> I mostly agree with the latter remark, but when using server side
> filtering, I can imagine that people revert to this. It is a PITA
> that one has to add each folder where messages are filtered into to
> the list of folders that are checked for new mail.

Those who use server side filtering into separate mailboxes are smart
(read: advanced) enough to know that they need to poll those
mailboxes.  If they discover, by chance, that they forgot to do this
once, it takes a second to correct this error.

And I totally disagree that just because you filter into mailboxes,
you want to poll.  I have all sorts of filters setup to filter mail to
mailboxes, and I don't want to be bothered (pressured) into viewing
those messages (e.g. mailboxes used to archive list mail that I don't
actively read on a daily basis).

Allowing users to unilaterally (and one-click) poll all mailboxes is
simply a DoS waiting to happen.  I continually am on the edge of
removing the feature.  I have kept it in because it **may** be useful
for an installation with 1 (or a few) users.  But it most certainly
should not be allowed if on a large installation, and should never be
the default option.

michael