[imp] IMP Administration

Simon Brereton simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 20:39:57 UTC 2012

A: Because it removes the flow of the discussion for others who come later.
Q: Why is top posting bad?
A: http://bit.ly/MEp2kG
Q: What is top posting.

On 23 July 2012 16:01, David Goldfield <dgoldfield at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> Thanks again for your prompt reply. I am replying all on this so the list
> should receive it. Don't know what you mean by top post?

Great.  thanks!

> Before I try a re-install of horde and imp, I am going to try to delete the
> root password on the server, then set it to another that we know.

Well, that shouldn't be necessary to rescue your horde install - but
will be necessary if you don't know what the root password actually
is..

> Then we are going find the directory in horde that holds user names and
> passwords ?

No.  If you're using LDAP, it will be there.  If you're using MYSQL,
it will be there.  As I said, it depends on your backend and setup.

> From Wiki:
>
> What are the default user name and password for the administrator?
>
> There are none. Since Horde supports a broad variety of different
> authentication backends and you are free to choose any of them for your
> Horde installation, the selected backend decides which are valid login
> credentials. And we didn't add an authentication independent backdoor to
> Horde, for obvious reasons.
> Instead, you can turn any valid and authenticated user into an administrator
> by adding his user name to the administrator list in Horde's configuration.
> Make sure to use user names exactly like they are used inside Horde, i.e.
> with or without a domain name, and considering any user name hooks that you
> enabled.
>
> How can I get back to the setup screen?
>
> You probably locked yourself out as an administrator because you properly
> configured an authentication backend for Horde, but forgot to add yourself
> as an administrator in the Horde configuration - see the paragraph above. If
> you don't want to start from scratch by copying conf.php.dist to conf.php
> again, you need to change the configuration file horde/config/conf.php
> manually. Edit the $conf['auth']['admins'] setting and add your username,
> e.g. $conf['auth']['admins'] = array('joe'); or $conf['auth']['admins'] =
> array('joe at example.com');. You can add several administrators using a comma
> separated list.
>

> We have access to one user account. So, I edit conf.php to set this user as
> 'admins' , then restart the web server then this give admin rights to that
> user. Then when they log in to IMP, the administration portion should show
> up in the browser?
>
> Do you think this will work?

Yes, it should.  Of course you may need the root/sudoers password in
order to edit that file.  Then you should see the Administration
option in the side bar.  Do know which version of Horde/IMP this is?

Simon