[imp] Irritating remember-selection-feature in IMP 6

Simon Brereton simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 13:46:40 UTC 2012

On Aug 31, 2012 7:32 AM, "Jan Schneider" <jan at horde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is this only me, or this new feature that remembers the selection state
of a mailbox rather irritating than helpful? I may be completely off,
that's why I'm asking here, where potentially more end user feedback is
expected than on the development list.

> I don't recall such behavior from any other application that I use.
Granted, I don't use many desktop applications anymore, but still.

> If I go to another mailbox, I'm done with the current mailbox, and vice
versa, so I rather expect the first mailbox in a clean state when I return
from the second mailbox. This expectation might be different if we had
mailboxes opened in tabs, which we don't.

> Though this could be considered a bug that needs fixing, I find it
especially annoying in a common use case of mine: when I start reading
through my daily mail, going through all the folders that my mail is sorted
into, I sometimes open a mail that's too long to be read right now. Then I
reset the seen flag before I go to another folder. If I go back, that
message is now still selected, marking it as seen again.

> Again, this could be just my personal preference, and others might
welcome this new feature, so I'm looking for some feedback.

I couldn't agree more.  Gmail does this sometimes, and it's as annoying as
hell.

Frankly I'd prefer the Outlook behaviour -
- the option to never automatically mark messages as seen
- when you return, the message is selected (and if you have a preview pane,
in the the pane).

Simon