[imp] Irritating remember-selection-feature in IMP 6

Scott Dellinger scott.dellinger at uvm.edu
Fri Aug 31 14:08:24 UTC 2012

On Aug 31, 2012, at 9:46 AM, Simon Brereton <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com> wrote:

> Frankly I'd prefer the Outlook behaviour -
> - the option to never automatically mark messages as seen
> - when you return, the message is selected (and if you have a preview pane,
> in the the pane).

Apple Mail also remembers selected messages from each mailbox; I imagine it fits into trying to be intuitive by displaying things in the state you left them in.  I find the behavior undesirable for two reasons: unless I have literally just switched from and returned to a mailbox, I'm not likely to remember why certain messages are selected and it starts to feel like random client behavior rather than something intentional or intuitive, and I do the same thing Jan complained about in leaving undealt-with messages marked unread on purpose, which this behavior messes with.

Settings to toggle this might be good, either globally or per-mailbox.  For some users, I could see this behavior being useful for, say, the inbox but not elsewhere.

--
Scott Dellinger
Systems Architecture & Administration