[imp] Irritating remember-selection-feature in IMP 6

Simon Brereton simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 15:10:57 UTC 2012

On Aug 31, 2012 10:52 AM, "Scott Dellinger" <scott.dellinger at uvm.edu> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2012, at 9:46 AM, Simon Brereton <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Frankly I'd prefer the Outlook behaviour -
> > - the option to never automatically mark messages as seen
> > - when you return, the message is selected (and if you have a preview
pane,
> > in the the pane).
>

> Apple Mail also remembers selected messages from each mailbox; I imagine
it fits into trying to be intuitive by displaying things in the state you
left them in.  I find the behavior undesirable for two reasons: unless I
have literally just switched from and returned to a mailbox, I'm not likely
to remember why certain messages are selected and it starts to feel like
random client behavior rather than something intentional or intuitive, and
I do the same thing Jan complained about in leaving undealt-with messages
marked unread on purpose, which this behavior messes with.

> Settings to toggle this might be good, either globally or per-mailbox.
 For some users, I could see this behavior being useful for, say, the inbox
but not elsewhere.

Actually, when not doing server admin, I find sub-folders incredibly
useful.  Consider a contract negotiation from last year - a question
arises, you search and find the relevant message and respond.  A few days
later after a long weekend, you receive a follow-up query.  This time you
don't need to search, it's highlighted.

Of course this "feature" is more useful to some users than others.

Simon