[imp] IMP: Special characters in password "removed/changed" automatically

Stefan König montiburns at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 5 09:35:19 UTC 2012

Hello List,

I have a slight problem with IMP (4.3.6) running on top of Horde 3 (3.3.6).
I use our IMAP server as an auth backend, which works like a charm.
Today I noticed, when I have a german special character
in the password, this character is not being forwarded to the
authentification backend correctly.
Example:
login: user at example.com
pass: 12tÄst34

then tcpdump shows me, that IMP tries to authenticate against the IMAP
server with password "12t.st34" where the  wrong byte shows in tcpdump
as 0xc4 (decimal 196) where it should be 0x8f (dec. 142 in extended
ascii table).
The byte changes with the character, if I set "12täst34" as password,
the byte changes to 0xe4 (dec. 228).

I wonder why and how this happens. I checked the language settings in
Apache (2.2.10), everything seems to be correct.
Could someone point me into the right direction?

Thanks alot!
regards
Stefan