[imp] list and reply-to

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Oct 22 16:43:38 UTC 2012

Quoting Laurent Foucher <laurent.foucher at iut-tlse3.fr>:

>> Zitat von Laurent Foucher <laurent.foucher at iut-tlse3.fr>:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have configured a list with a "reply-to" header configured. When
>>> i use the action reply_auto with horde4, the "reply-to" in not
>>> considered. Is it the excepted behavior ?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> - Laurent Foucher
>>
>> Yes.
>> --
> The users of my university would like that "reply-to" be considered
> in a message of a list. I have changed  in imp/lib/compose.php the
> line 1501 :
> if (Horde_Mime_Address::bareAddress($list_info['reply_list']) !=
> Horde_Mime_Address::bareAddress($header['to'])) {
> by
> if (!$force &&
> (Horde_Mime_Address::bareAddress($list_info['reply_list']) !=
> Horde_Mime_Address::bareAddress($header['to']))) {
>
> and i seems that's works as i expect.
>
> Do you think that it could be a enhancement in bugs.horde.org ?

No.  If you have subscribed to a list you have implicitly indicated
that you are comfortable with sharing your thoughts with the entire
list.  As someone sending something to a list, I DO NOT WANT TO
RECEIVE PERSONAL REPLIES FROM THAT LIST - the conversation needs to
stay on the list.  So the only sane default action is reply to list.
This should never be configurable.

If you, as a list reader, want to send a personal message to someone
on the list - that is your choice.  But you have to explicitly make
that choice.  That choice should NEVER be the default.  Otherwise,
what's the point of the mailing list?  Someone sends a message and
nobody ever sees a reply since everyone just sends personal e-mails.

michael