[imp] backends.php overwritten by "pear upgrade"

Terry Carmen terry at cnysupport.com
Tue Oct 30 16:00:36 UTC 2012

On 10/30/2012 10:51 AM, wrobel at pardus.de wrote:

> Zitat von Lukas Gradl <horde at ssn.at>:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I did a "pear upgrade" on my IMP 6.0.0 test machine. Afterwards
>> backends.php was overwritten.
>>
>> AFAIK the config files should be preserved when upgrading - should'nt
>> there be a backends.php.dist that ist updated automatically and the
>> active copy should'nt be touched?
>
> Look at the header of the file:
>
> <?php
> /**
>  * This file specifies which mail servers IMP can login to.
>  *
>  * IMPORTANT: DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!
>  * Local overrides MUST be placed in backends.local.php or backends.d/.
>  * If the 'vhosts' setting has been enabled in Horde's configuration,
> you can
>  * use backends-servername.php.
> ..
>

> Any local configuration must be placed in a backends.local.php file.

I know there are warnings about editing the config files and making
local copies, however horde w/pear is one of the few apps that will
blindly overwrite config files.

Perhaps the config files should be shipped as ".template" files and have
all the user-editable versions created during install. Or even better,
how about removing the capability for the installer to overwrite the
config files, as is done with nearly every other popular linux package?

There is really no legitimate excuse for having an app overwrite it's
own configuration.

Terry