[imp] Redirect not working

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Fri Nov 16 10:31:17 UTC 2012

Citeren Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

> Quoting Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>:

>>> I just tried this and I get a 5.7.1 Bad syntax error from the mail server.
>>
>> Same here. It is rejected because of a malformed MAIL FROM address:
>>
>>   postfix/smtpd[25829]: warning: proxy 127.0.0.1:10026 rejected
>> "MAIL FROM:<Arjen de Korte <arjen at de-korte.org>>": "501 5.5.2
>> Syntax: MAIL FROM:<address>"
>
> For SMTP, the FROM address is obtained from the Return-Path address.
>  This address is generated from the identity.  And this works fine
> for me.
>
> The only thing I can think of is that your default e-mail address
> for the default identity is *NOT* a bare e-mail address.  It can't
> contain personal information.

This indeed seems to be the problem. If I empty the field 'Your full name:' in

      Global Preferences -> Personal Information

redirecting messages works. But if this field is not empty, it fails.

> Outside of that, someone is going to have to track down why this is
> broken for them.  I can point you to imp/lib/Compose.php (the
> sendRedirectMessage()) for where we are creating the redirect data.

Apparently this is a design decision, to not allow the above mentioned
field to be filled. In that case, it should be locked (and hidden) for
the default identity (so that users don't accidentally put something
in there), or (better) it should simply be disregarded when building
the MAIL FROM address when redirecting messages. I fail to understand
why sending new messages with the default identity is not a problem
with the 'Your full name:' field filled, but redirecting is.

Best regards, Arjen