[imp] newbie: How to make proper spam settings

Jens-Uwe Mozdzen jmozdzen at nde.ag
Mon Nov 26 14:25:58 UTC 2012

Dear list,

I found setting up spam handling (in IMP plus user preferences) a bit
confusing. Now that I know what to expect, everything works, but to
get there took me some time.

My goal is to have an option for our users to declare individual mails
as "spam". Those messages are just to be moved to a specific
sub-folder of the user's INBOX, so there's no external program call
required.

In the user-specific mail settings, there's the page to make spam
settings. With my user, I select my spam folder, the action is set to
"move to spam folder" respectively "move to inbox", "show delete spam
entry in menu" is checked. I've set to never purge the spam folder.

During initial Horde5 configuration, I configured IMP "message and spam" to

$conf['spam']['spamfolder'] = false;
$conf['spam']['email_format'] = 'digest'; // auto-set, not required
because no mail is sent
$conf['spam']['reporting'] = true;

Now when looking at my incoming mail, I see a big "spam" button above
the message list, but pressing it does nothing to the message. I have
to set
$conf['spam']['program'] = '/bin/true';
and now when I press "SPAM", I receive a positive feedback message and
the message is marked as spam - but still in the INBOX. It takes a
list refresh to (visually) remove the message from the INBOX.

Is it worth an RFE to assume result code "true" if no specific spam
program is set in IMP configuration?

Would it be possible to auto-refresh the message list after marking a
message as spam, so that the user-selected action ("move message to
folder") is visible to the user?

Regards,
Jens
--
Jens-U. Mozdzen                         voice   : +49-40-559 51 75
NDE Netzdesign und -entwicklung AG      fax     : +49-40-559 51 77
D-22423 Hamburg                         e-mail  : jmozdzen at nde.ag

         Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Angelika Mozdzen
           Sitz und Registergericht: Hamburg, HRB 90934
                   Vorstand: Jens-U. Mozdzen
                    USt-IdNr. DE 814 013 983