[imp] problem with stripping Attachment from a mail

ANANT S ATHAVALE asa at isac.gov.in
Wed Dec 5 09:06:07 UTC 2012

Dear List,

I recently upgraded to Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 4.0.9.  I am
not sure, the problem which I am describing existed earlier to upgrade.

But, currently, I am facing problem with stripping the attachments.
The attachment which I am trying to strip is of 1.3 MB.

I get error: Unexpectedly disconnected from the mail server. But, a
new mail gets generated with stripped attachment.  The original mail
remains as it is (which should have got deleted).  This also results
in sudden spike in CPU usage.

I tried to search in mailing lists and at one place it is mentioned
that IMAP server may be broken.  But, for the same Cyrus IMAP server,
I use IMP 4, it works fine without any problem.  But, at the same
time, I am using squirrel imap proxy for both the versions (as it is
the recommended one for performance).

I get the following errors in Horde logs:

PHP error: fwrite(): send of 2 bytes failed with errno=32 Broken pipe
on the line 3923 of /usr/share/pear/Horde/Imap/Client/Socket.php

ERR: HORDE [imp] Mail server closed the connection unexpectedly.

I am unable to understand the reason as for the same Cyrus IMAP server
stripping attachments works fine with IMP 4.

My Horde 3 runs on RHEL 5.3
MY Horde 4 as well as Cyrus IMAP runs on RHEL 6.3

Please suggest how to go about.

Regards,
Anant.

            Anant