[imp] Horde IMP 6.0.2 - http segfaulting when To: contains many adresses

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Wed Dec 19 16:27:33 UTC 2012

Hi,

Today I migrated from Horde 4 to Horde 5 including the update
to Horde IMP 6.0.2.

I wonder why I was no longer able to open one of my mailbox
folders (red Communication error window) and my http-error.log
file always prints

[Wed Dec 19 16:59:29 2012] [notice] child pid 1044 exit signal Illegal
instruction (4)

I tracked it down to a single message in the folder containing
389 To: recipient adresses all in the notation:

=?windows-1252?Q?=95Name?= <name at adress.tld>
or
name <name at adress.tld>

And as I said 389 of them in one To: header, one per line
and seperated by ",".

The non-encoded adresses are not problematic. I nailed it down, that
as soon as the Message contains 77 or more To: recipients with
  =?windows-1252.... encoded recipients, my httpd child process
crashes. When I reduce the amount of encoded adresses to 76 or lower,
displaying the folder in IMP works without any problem.

This was not an issue with the previous major version of IMP.

You can find a test-message here:  http://pastebin.com/N560XGHR

As you can see the directory is empty. Just create a new mailfolder
in IMP, and place the test.msg into it (take care about permissions
of the file otherwise your MTA may not pick it up).

I use Qmail + Vpopmail + dovecot if this is of any interest.

    Greetings