[imp] Blank emails

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Dec 31 16:46:08 UTC 2012

Quoting Simon Brereton <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>:

> On 19 December 2012 16:54, Simon Brereton <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 19 December 2012 14:21,  <mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:
>>> Quoting Simon Brereton <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>

>>> Sorry, activesync.  IMAP works fine and always has done.  Have never tried
>>> mobile imp.
>>>
>>> Simon
>>>

>>> These problems sound similar to some issues that have been fixed
>>> in the last
>>> few pear releases. Are you sure you are using the most up to date packages?
>>
>> Hi Mike
>>
>> No, I haven't upgraded since I installed it.  I'm curious to know why
>> it would have worked and now doesn't.  I will try to update during the
>> holiday downtime.
>>
>> FYI - IMP shows the message with "There are no parts that can be
>> displayed inline".  Which is weird since the recipient (including me
>> if I put myself in BCC) will see the entire quoted message - just not
>> the new response.
>
> I finally got around to doing the upgrade.  It's working again.  Two
> things to note from the one test I made so far.
>
> 1) In Imp, when looking at the sent folder, I still see the "no parts"
> error from above.

 From newly sent emails after the upgrade or from the emails you
previously sent? The older emails will of course not change, only
newly sent email.

> 2) Since I bcc'd myself, my reply was between the HTML and the plain
> text portions of the email.  Which is weird because I definitely wrote
> my reply above the text.

This is expected. Most ActiveSync clients use a "Smart Reply" in which
only the reply text is sent to the server. The server then needs to
retrieve the original message contents from the IMAP server and
compose the two together. This saves bandwidth, but makes it difficult
to honor the user's reply_top pref. To make things worse, some clients
also send the attribution text (the "So and so wrote: " stuff) and
some don't - and there is no way to determine if it's present or not
since it comes as part of the reply text from the client. The bottom
line is, we do the best we can with what the client sends us.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org