[imp] Set flags not working (IMP5 + mailenable)

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Jan 11 02:44:48 UTC 2013

Quoting welliton at infonet.com.br:

> Hello guys,
>
> I'm trying to setup IMP5 (H4) with a mailenable imap server as backend, but
> the setting flag imap command isn't working. Analysing the imap log
> generated by IMP, I can see these commands:

[snip]

> C: 4 UID STORE 6 +FLAGS \seen
> S: * 4 FETCH (FLAGS (\SEEN) UID 6)
> S: 4 OK UID command completed

Looks like IMP is working just fine here.  UID 6 is flagged with the
seen flag, just like what was asked.

> C:SELECT INBOX
>   S: * FLAGS (\Deleted \Seen \Answered \Flagged \Draft $Forwarded)
> C:UID STORE 6 +Flags(\SEEN)
>   S: UID command completed

That is incorrect.  There MUST be a space between [+-]Flags and the
flag (or flag-list).

>   Comparing both logs, i could realize that the only difference is that the
> flag is in brackets, so I tried open a TELNET session with the mailenable
> imap server and the setting flag command only works when the flag is in
> brackets. Here are the commands:

[snip]

> 3 UID STORE 10 +FLAGS\SEEN
> * 8 FETCH (FLAGS () UID 10) ----------> here doesn't work.
> 3 OK UID command completed

This is incorrect syntax.  It should be:

3 UID STORE 10 +FLAGS \SEEN

The server should have returned a BAD response due to the incorrect
syntax in the STORE command.  i.e. Dovecot 2.1 looks like this:

1 uid store 10 +FLAGS\SEEN
1 BAD Error in IMAP command UID STORE: Invalid arguments.

> 4 UID STORE 10 +FLAGS (\SEEN)
> * 8 FETCH (FLAGS (\SEEN) UID 10) ----------> here works.
> 4 OK UID command completed

Yes. this is correct.  This is also an equivalent statement:

4 UID STORE 10 +FLAGS \SEEN

michael