[imp] Signature

Luis Felipe Marzagao lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 21:21:46 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:
> Quoting Luis Felipe Marzagao <lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com>:
>
>> I also think wrinting a msg and not seeing what will be the final text is
>> really confusing and nonintuitive, mainly for real life/regular users, but
>> since this is open source software, at least you can alter the code. Imagine
>> if it were proprietary/closed software.
>

> Several of you have raised this "argument".  And it is completely bogus.
>
> NO MUA THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN "GUARANTEES" THAT WHAT YOU "SEE" IN THE COMPOSE
> WINDOW IS ACTUALLY WHAT IS SENT OUT.  MUA's add all sorts of things to
> outgoing messages that users have no control of.  MUA's should be able to
> change/fix formatting as necessary to fix user errors.  MUA's can convert
> HTML text to plain text, or vice versa, or add different representations of
> the data (which IMP allows).  An admin can add a trailer to every message
> which cannot be altered by the user and will never be seen by the user
> (which IMP allows).
>
> The simple fact with signatures IS THAT THE **USER** IS THE ONE THAT ADDED
> THE SIGNATURE DATA IN THE FIRST PLACE.  This is not the case of someone
> "altering" a message or "adding" data without the user's consent.  For a
> signature to be added to a message, the user necessarily needed to create
> the data at one point.  Nothing is being "added" or "altered" to the message
> that the user has not already tacitly approved.
>
> This is a great example of a specious argument: one that might look like it
> has merit on its face, but if you even take a few seconds to analyze the
> details there is absolutely no basis to it.

Hello, Michael:

For me a specious argument is the one you have to spend a lot of lines
to justify. What you are stating, for me, is not reasonable and that
speaks for itself. Your line of thinking is argument by exception. We
can justify whatever we want by exception because there will always be
exceptions.

> michael

> Michael Slusarz [slusarz at horde.org]

See how confusing it is? You have just signed "michael", but you
signature already was "Michael Slusarz [slusarz at horde.org]", so your
message now has two signatures...