[imp] IMP Permission denied error / user not authorized

Ravid vid401t at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 03:56:27 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

Very new to horde webmail and evaluating the product.

I have installed:

Horde (horde) 5.0.4
Mail (imp) 6.0.4
Dovecot 2.0.9

Basically trying to get to a point in which I can create users and they can
login and send mails to each other.  Thought it would be simple but I have
been stuck for the last two days.

I installed Horde just fine, was able to access the UI and configure the
Database (using mysql).

Where I run into a problem is the authentication part.  The only way I was
able to configure it so it would allow me to create users was via SQL
authentication and providing the exact field names in my table within my
mysql database.

This is all fine and dandy but when I try to access mail, on the portal page
I see: "User is not authorized for imp" .  When I click on Mail, i get a
login page and an error in my backend log:

HORDE: User is not authorized for imp

Then i check the  messages log:

[imp] Error connecting to mail server. [13] Permission denied

So at this point, I realize I need imp to work.  I go to configurations,
Mail, and within the tabs I see, there isn't much to configure.  The
important tab I think would've been Server, but when I click the dropdown in
server list (NONE, SHOWN, HIDDEN), i get nothing.

Reading the install guide for IMP, I realize I need an IMAP Server, so I run
off and install Dovecot which I create a new user table called mailbox along
with numerous other configurations and can telnet into it fine (telnet
localhost 143) and I see the dovecot syntax:

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE
STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.

(Using plain auth for now b/c this is just a test machine)

a login admin xxxxx
a OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE
SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT
CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC
ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS] Logged in

At this point, I'm not sure what to do.  How do I get IMP to play nicely
with Dovecot and show me my mailboxes on Horde?

I tried the IMP test.php and filled in the fields but all i get back is:
Error connecting to mail server.

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm missing?