[imp] IMP Permission denied error / user not authorized

Gary witscher at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 05:04:10 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm not sure if I can be of much help, but it might be that you don't
have a working mail server. You may not even have a mail server
installed, although one is usually installed by default on most Linux
systems. If it was me I'd start from the begining and make sure the
mail server (postfix, qmail, exim ...) is configured for your host. If
you want to send mail you definately need software to do that. You can
test the setup with the command line mail client or something simple
like mutt. Once you have the mail server working then you can use
dovecot to setup user imap mailboxes (dovecot is not mandatory, there
are other options). Then I would verify that everything is working
with something like Sylpheed. After that looks good, follow the
configuration steps for horde/imp.

On my ubuntu server (a home based network) I use postfix with
dovecot-postfix and dovecot, configured to handle localhost mail only.
I use fetchmail to get mail from outside my home network, but that's
another subject entirely.

Good luck