[imp] problems configuring with imp6.0.4 on horde5.0.4

Mauricio Jose T. Tecles mtecles at biof.ufrj.br
Sat Feb 23 20:45:52 UTC 2013

Do not top post (see below).

----- Mensagem de peter.lawrie at glendiscovery.co.uk ---------
     Data: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 16:30:15 +0000
     De: peter lawrie <peter.lawrie at glendiscovery.co.uk>
  Assunto: Re: [imp] problems configuring with imp6.0.4 on horde5.0.4
       Para: Simon Brereton <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>
       Cc: imp at lists.horde.org

> Hi Simon
> Thanks for the response.
> I have already seen most of the pages which come up googling for the error
> "HORDE: User is not authorized for imp"
> Adding your name did not seem to help.
> I can see there are other people with the same problem, but no solution.
> The various howtos I did find on the internet all use different dbase
> tables from those created by horde 5
> In the mysql database created by installing horde 5 I have a table
> horde_users and in that are user_uid and user_pass
> I just cannot find instructions for configuring postfix and dovecot using
> these.

The point is that IMP is a program, as any other, to  use mail, it is
not the mail program itself. You must have you mail system working
before thinking of Horde/IMP. You must have system users, so mail
system can put incoming mail in user´s inbox (Debian:
/var/mail/userlogin) and programs (IMP, Outlook, Thunderbird...) can
file IMAP folders (Debian: /home/userlogin/mail). So this has not to
do with Horde/IMP.

For a Debian example:

To add a user: useradd -c "User name" -m -s /bin/false userlogin

Set user´s password:  passwd userlogin

Now userlogin can use system mail via Hord/IMP, Outlook or
Thunderbird, if Dovecot and Postfix are corretctly setup (see below).

> Am I wrong in thinking that somewhere, if I look hard enough, there must be
> a howto for dovecot and postfix with a mysql username and using user_uid
> and user_pass from horde_users?

As far as I know, it´s a wrong thought. You don´t have users in
Outlook,  Thunderbird or Window Mail, you inform those programs data
of users that exist on a mail system elsewhere.

> [...]
> mnemo                     4.0.3   stable
> nag                       4.0.2   stable
> timeobjects               2.0.2   stable
> turba                     4.0.3   stable
>
> Installed packages, channel pear.php.net:
> Package          Version State
> Archive_Tar      1.3.7   stable
> Auth_SASL        1.0.6   stable
> Cache            1.5.6   stable
> Console_Color    1.0.3   stable
> Console_Getopt   1.3.0   stable
> Console_Table    1.1.5   stable
> DB               1.7.14  stable
> Date             1.4.7   stable
> File_Find        1.3.2   stable
> File_Fstab       2.0.3   stable
> HTTP_Request     1.4.4   stable
> MDB2             2.4.1   stable
> Net_DNS2         1.2.5   stable
> Net_FTP          1.3.7   stable
> Net_IMAP         1.1.2   stable
> Net_SMTP         1.6.1   stable
> Net_Sieve        1.3.2   stable
> Net_Socket       1.0.10  stable
> Net_URL          1.0.15  stable
> PEAR             1.9.4   stable
> Services_Weather 1.4.7   stable
> Structures_Graph 1.0.4   stable
> Text_Figlet      1.0.2   stable
> Text_Wiki        1.2.1   stable
> Text_Wiki_Creole 1.0.2   stable
> XML_SVG          1.1.0   stable
> XML_Util         1.2.1   stable
>
> Installed packages, channel pecl.php.net:
> Package  Version State
> APC      3.1.9   stable
> LZF      1.6.2   stable
> geoip    1.0.8   stable
> intl     2.0.1   stable
> memcache 2.2.7   stable
> pam      1.0.3   stable
> xdiff    1.4.1   stable
>

> [root at scotz1:/root]
> #
>

> On 23 February 2013 01:27, Simon Brereton <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On 22 Feb 2013 14:44, "peter lawrie" <peter.lawrie at glendiscovery.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi
>> > I'd be grateful for some brief advice as this has been driving me insane
>> > for the past week.
>> > A customer asked me to set up a new rhel6 server for them.
>> > I have set up a new rhel6 server with virtualmin and horde5 - all modules
>> > (imp, turba, kronolith, gollem, ingo, mnemo and nag are shown as up to
>> date)
>> > All went well and quite quickly I reached "db schema is ready" and
>> > "application is ready" on all the horde applications.
>> > Initially I could not get the test.php mail schema support test for IMP
>> > work, but eventually I did.
>> > However, no matter what I do I cannot get horde to successfully login to
>> > mail.
>> >  HORDE: User is not authorized for imp [pid 6303 on line 259 of
>> > "/usr/share/pear/share/pear/Horde/Registry.php"]
>> >
>> > I am using MySQL and Dovecot with Postfix,
>> >
>> > To confirm the postfix I used telnet localhost smtp and was able to send
>> an
>> > email out, although replies from an external gmail account were rejected.

That meens your mail server is not configured correctly. Again, you
must have you mail system working before thinking of Horde/IMP.

Mauricio

Maurício José T. Tecles
Instituto de Biofísica C. C. F. - UFRJ
mtecles at biof.ufrj.br