[imp] IMP Permission denied error / user not authorized

peter lawrie peter.lawrie at glendiscovery.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 14:11:31 UTC 2013

Hi Arjen
Thank you for your suggestion,
I had already tried backends.local.php, but now I have one with just the
line you suggested.
I also modified backends.php so all the  example configurations have
'disabled' => true,
I reinstated the sql database for horde with one entry in horde_users with
a plain text password so I can have an administrative login.
In horde authentication I have sql authentication and plain encryption

I confirmed that within webmin/postfix I can access user mailboxes and
send/receive emails into the virtualmin default
/home/<virtualname>/Maildir
Under 'imap server', I have enabled imap with no encryption
On the 'mailer' I also have 'plain' authentication.
However, I'm still in the same hole and no amount of digging gets me out of
it!
the test.php script still gives IMP authentication failed
/var/log/maillog hasFeb 25 13:42:47 scotz1 dovecot: auth: mysql: Connected
to localhost (mail)
Feb 25 13:42:55 scotz1 dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 2
attempts): user=<plawrie>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1,
secured
If I attempt to enter horde/mail with the username and password I have in
horde_users I get
 HORDE: User is not authorized for imp [pid 32760 on line 259 of
"/usr/share/pear/share/pear/
Horde/Registry.php"]
I can confirm this same username and password also set up as a 'real' linux
user in /etc/passwd

Yours in exasperation
Peter Lawrie