[imp] IMP Permission denied error / user not authorized

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Mon Feb 25 15:42:23 UTC 2013

Citeren peter lawrie <peter.lawrie at glendiscovery.co.uk>:

> Hi Arjen
> Thank you for your suggestion,
> I had already tried backends.local.php, but now I have one with just the
> line you suggested.
> I also modified backends.php so all the  example configurations have
> 'disabled' => true,

Please read the comments in the headers of configuration files. You
should *never* modify this file. With each upgrade, these files may be
overwritten, so it is *mandatory* to put all modifications in
backends.local.php. Note that these are not example configurations.

> I reinstated the sql database for horde with one entry in horde_users with
> a plain text password so I can have an administrative login.

Don't. Start with a simple configuration where you authenticate
against an IMAP server and go on from there.

> In horde authentication I have sql authentication and plain encryption
>
> I confirmed that within webmin/postfix I can access user mailboxes and
> send/receive emails into the virtualmin default
> /home/<virtualname>/Maildir
> Under 'imap server', I have enabled imap with no encryption
> On the 'mailer' I also have 'plain' authentication.
> However, I'm still in the same hole and no amount of digging gets me out of
> it!
> the test.php script still gives IMP authentication failed
> /var/log/maillog hasFeb 25 13:42:47 scotz1 dovecot: auth: mysql: Connected
> to localhost (mail)
> Feb 25 13:42:55 scotz1 dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 2
> attempts): user=<plawrie>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1,
> secured

This has nothing to do with the Horde configuration files, test.php
doesn't use them. The authentication in Dovecot isn't working somehow.

> If I attempt to enter horde/mail with the username and password I have in
> horde_users I get
>  HORDE: User is not authorized for imp [pid 32760 on line 259 of
> "/usr/share/pear/share/pear/
> Horde/Registry.php"]
> I can confirm this same username and password also set up as a 'real' linux
> user in /etc/passwd

Why have you configured Dovecot to authenticate against mysql? Do you
want to use system users, or virtual users here?

Arjen