[imp] Error when searching other user's mailbox

Jens Grüntjes jens.gruentjes at ebira.de
Tue Feb 26 16:50:53 UTC 2013

> Quoting Jens Grüntjes <jens.gruentjes at ebira.de>:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm using the current stable Horde Webmail Edition, especially
>> imp-6.0.4, webmail-5.0.4.
>>
>> I experience problem when a certain user searches in another user's
>> folder. This is my situation:
>> User foo has a folder called 'banken' with certain subfolders. The
>> folder 'banken' does not contain any messages but the subfolders
>> do. User bar is permitted to "lookup" the folder 'banken' and to
>> "lookup" and "read" (to say it in "IMAP-ACL") some of the
>> subfolders in 'banken'. He has no access to the rest of the
>> subfolders.
>>
>> User bar now performs a search where he searches user foo's folder
>> 'banken' and all subfolders. The search gets interrupted and a red
>> message box appears saying "Fehler während der Kommunikation mit
>> dem Server" (sorry it is in German). No search results are displayed.
>
> I think this is the appropriate result.  Your query is to search
> *ALL* subfolders.  If even one is inaccessible there needs to be an
> error, lest the user thinks that they have really searched all
> subfolders.  Returning partial search results is not very useful,
> since the user doesn't know which subfolders these results are
> coming from.
Okay, but on the other hand the user does not know which folder causes
the search to fail leaving him to pick out the folders to search one
by one. Would it be possible to raise an error that is a little more
helpful than "Error when communicating with the server."? Something
like "your search could not be performed due to access restrictions to
your search folders"?

> You are looking for an option to "search all subfolders that I have
> access to".  But that is getting *very* specific and advanced - most
> users should not be given this option or else it will confuse them.
> And adding an "advanced" search mode sounds like a feature that
> would need to be sponsored to be implemented.
Okay, that seems a little bit too much to implement.

> The appropriate way of searching would be to search individually the
> mailboxes they have access to.  Or better yet: remove the 'l' ACL
> right for that user.
Thanks, that was indeed the easiest way.

Viele Grüße
Jens